Q: Lots of noise out of the transmission, bad when driving

I drive a 2008 Nissan Sentra with a CVT transmission that has begun to drone whenever the car is in gear and moving. It's really annoying but doesn’t seem to effect performance. I'm more worried that this is a symptom of a problem in the transmission. I know the CVT transmission on this model is not particularly reliable, but my car has less than 55,000 miles on it. Does the drone mean that the transmission needs to be replaced?

According to Nissan, this noise is normal. They want to reassure owners of a Nissan vehicle with CVT transmission that they are reliable. They’ve extended the warranty on the transmission to 10 years or 120,000 miles. They’re also reducing CVT replacement transmission cost for those over the 120,000 miles. If you feel the noise you hear is not normal, I recommend taking your vehicle to a Nissan dealer and have the noise checked. Most CVT transmissions do make a whine noise as you increase speed.