Q: Is it possible to manually release a parking brake that has been engaged too far? 08 Honda Pilot

asked by on March 03, 2017

My parking brake will not release. It was engaged too hard. Is there a way to manually release it? (there is no release latch on an 08)

Parking brake is stuck Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Looking at the foot operated pedal assembly, you will see a plastic wheel, or like mechanism possibly with metal spikes or steps, that locks the pedal when you depress it. That component is stuck or seized in place. If an assistant depresses the pedal, you can carefully use a screwdriver to flip it up. Watch your eyes of course. Once you free the mechanism use an appropriate lubricant on the whole foot operated mechanism. You might consider the possibility that the parking brake shoes are not adjusted properly, thus causing too much E-brake pedal travel. If you need assistance with these steps, please request parking brake service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.