Q: Is it a bad idea for a teen to buy a 2002 bmw 325i with 90k miles on it?

asked by on August 17, 2017

I am a teenager who is buying their own car without help from my parents and i want to get a nice car like a bmw but i have seen some horror stories of these types of cars turning into huge money pits. Do you think it is a viable option for a high school student who wouldn't really be putting too many miles on the car to be buying a bmw like this?

Hi Dane. First off, I compliment you on reaching out to us and asking a professional opinion on these cars. I have a 2009 BMW 128i that I am very happy with at 109,000 miles. However, I have had this car since new and have completed all routine service and maintenance on the car as recommended by BMW. The problem with buying any used car is that you can’t tell for sure whether the previous owner has been good about the service. That being said, it is rather risky to purchase a used BMW when you’re 100% dependent on completing repairs on your own budget. Insurance costs can also be higher with this type of vehicle. For a first car, I’d recommend a more dependable and easier and more cost-effective to repair vehicle, such as a Hyundai, Honda, Nissan or Toyota as your first vehicle.