Q: Q: Lost first and second gear

I lost first and second gear. The shift linkage has a bushing that has to be replaced every 15 to 20 years, and I think that might be the problem. The car was running and shifting perfectly. Third through fifth gear work fine.

Due to the design of this vehicle it is common for the shift linkage connecting bushings to fail because they rot out and bind until they come apart. When this occurs the shifter cannot properly move the shift mechanism inside of the transmission. This is easily diagnosed through a visual inspection of the bushings. If the bushings are fine then the shift linkage in the transmission may be binding and may need to be replaced. I recommend having a certified mechanic inspect your transmission and perform the necessary tests and repairs for your vehicle.

3. Q: Lost first and second gear