Q: Looking for the starter interrupt device put on by dealer

Trying to disable my starter interrupt device put on by dealerships to kill your starter when payments are late

Hello...thank you for your question and I will try to help you on this issue, which is an interesting one because these vehicle "kill switches" have indeed become more common lately. Typically the switch box is under the dash but they can be mounted in the engine compartment or the trunk, too. If the installation and operation of the "kill switch" was clearly disclosed to you in the written terms of your loan contract, if you disable it unfortunately the lender will likely call the loan due and/or find you in default. However, if the device was not disclosed in the terms of the loan contract, depending on your jurisdiction, you may have the right to remove the device from your vehicle but you should check first with a qualified Attorney. Inasmuch as we do not know whether the device is required by the written terms of your contract, nor your jurisdiction, we cannot immediately advise as to how to remove the device because obviously it would be inappropriate for us to document ways to break valid contracts (if such exists) and such would put us in legal jeopardy, too. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you on any car maintenance or repair issue.

3. Looking for the starter interrupt device put on by dealer