Q: Check engine light on and car bogging down

The preowned car that I recently purchased (3.0 L), drove great for about a month and then when going home from work, 4 blocks later while speeding up on the interstate ramp, my check engine light came on and the car felt like it was bogging down. I was thinking perhaps it has to do with the sport-mode transmission or gear slipping or perhaps because my gas lid is messed up. Before taking it to the dealership, I’d like your assessment of all this?

A: Hi there. If the Check Engine Light came on...

Hi there. If the Check Engine Light came on, then there is a problem that the computer is seeing. If the light is flashing, then it may have a misfire. If not, then it is something else in the powertrain. It would not be the gas lid because that would not cause a loss of power. I would typically start by scanning the computer for codes to get a sense of where I should begin to inspect the problem. It can be anything from a tune-up problem, to a weak fuel pump, or even a transmission failure. Scanning the computer is the only way to start with this diagnostic process. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your Check Engine Light and make the appropriate repairs.