Q: Check engine light on and car bogging down

The preowned car that I recently purchased (3.0 L), drove great for about a month and then when going home from work, 4 blocks later while speeding up on the interstate ramp, my check engine light came on and the car felt like it was bogging down. I was thinking perhaps it has to do with the sport-mode transmission or gear slipping or perhaps because my gas lid is messed up. Before taking it to the dealership, I’d like your assessment of all this?

Hi there. If the Check Engine Light came on, then there is a problem that the computer is seeing. If the light is flashing, then it may have a misfire. If not, then it is something else in the powertrain. It would not be the gas lid because that would not cause a loss of power. I would typically start by scanning the computer for codes to get a sense of where I should begin to inspect the problem. It can be anything from a tune-up problem, to a weak fuel pump, or even a transmission failure. Scanning the computer is the only way to start with this diagnostic process. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your Check Engine Light and make the appropriate repairs.