Q: Lights come on and clicking behind steering wheel

The dome lights and cargo lights have recently been coming on and flickering when I make a right-hand turn. At the same time, I can hear a clicking sound either near or behind the steering wheel/column.This happens intermittently and the lights blink in conjunction with the clicking sound. The problem is probably some switch or connection causing this problem, but I don’t know what it is. This also happens with the turn signal on or off; plus, it does this whether I turn gradually right or a severe/sharp right turn. What can you tell me so I can solve this problem?

It sounds like you may have an electrical short somewhere within your steering column. This may be related to wiring, the clock spring, or even fusebox issues. The fusebox is usually located under the driver side kick panel on most vehicles and therefore the short may exist there as well. I would recommend having your steering column trim removed by a qualified professional in order to inspect the circuitry that is hidden behind it.

This inspection should be able to detect any damaged wiring or shorts that may exist visually. If nothing is visually noticeable, the mechanic would then use a digital multimeter and check for resistance in various circuits in the area to determine where the short might be. Once the short is found, the mechanic would then be able to decide the best way to repair it. This repair may be as simple as wrapping some electrical tape around a wire to re-insulate it or as difficult as replacing an entire wiring harness.