Q: Lightning knocks out engine, brakes, steering, dashboard, radio

During a thunderstorm and driving 70 mph, I was in the left lane on the interstate and saw a bolt of lightning hit to the right of the interstate in the grass. 31 of my 43 electrical modules immediately failed, including the engine, brakes, steering, dashboard, and radio. I couldn’t get the car to restart or to even shift to neutral. The dealership has kept my car for 105 days continually. While I’m waiting, could you tell me what is usually done when there is this kind of lightning damage? Thank you.

A: The lighting strike could have sent out a p...

The lighting strike could have sent out a pulse that took out the majority of the electrical control modules in the vehicle and may have even caused a number of shorted circuits. Repairs must be made to known faulted circuits and then tested for integrity. This process can take a very long time especially when a shop is dealing with other customers as well.