Q: Alarm and keyless entry malfunction, G error code

The car alarm in my car has some kind of a flaw as it goes off for no apparent reason. Also, the keyless entry malfunctions sometimes. There is obviously an electrical problem with the car. In addition to this, the "G" error code keeps appearing during diagnostics. What might be causing these problems and what does the code indicate?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2007 Mercedes Benz E550. The car alarm in many of the later model Mercedes vehicles has it’s own set of small batteries. When these batteries go bad, they will automatically set off the alarm once the alarm is set as the vehicle thinks it is being stolen or moved. I would recommend checking this first, as it is an easy inexpensive fix. As to the G error code, you will need more information to diagnose this. There are typically a series of numbers that go along with this code. If you need help having this checked, a qualified expert from YourMechanic can inspect the vehicle for electrical issues and let you know what needs repair.