Q: Leaking coolant caused the temp reader to read at 260 can I still drive it

asked by on March 26, 2016

Why does it say its temperature is 260 but there's coolant

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If your temperature gauge is reading 260 degrees then you should definitely not drive it. If the gauge is always that high or gets up to that point when the key is first turned on after the vehicle has sat for the night then it may be the gauge.

If it gets that hot after running for a while then you need to find out why. Most of the time it is because of a failing thermostat or possibly a coolant leak from a water pump. Both are common on this vehicle. I typically do a pressure test, check for leaks, and then check the flow of the coolant. If nothing is found, I do a block test to see if the engine has an internal problem like a blown head gasket. Consider YourMechanic if you would like to have the vehicle inspected. Our certified mechanics can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s overheating issue.