Q: Leaking coolant - 2004 Chevrolet Silverado

asked by on November 09, 2016

so my 2004 chevy 2500hd diesel is leaking coolant out the right side of the truck (all over that side of truck) when moving but when stopped or idling nothing leaks ive replaced all the hoses and coolant tank and thermostats what else could it be?

Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Depending on what edition of the Silverado you have the leaking coolant may be coming from the radiator overflow reservoir. It might also be a heater bypass tube that’s damaged. The reservoir is used for overflow, as coolant expands as it gets hot. When the tank gets older, sometimes it can develop cracks which eventually cause leaks. It’s also common for the coolant overflow hose to crack, causing leaking symptoms similar to the issue you’re describing.

Check your overflow reservoir, and if it’s damaged, replace it along with any coolant lines running to and from the reservoir and the radiator to be on the safe side. If you need to have this done, a certified technician can come to your home or office diagnose the leaks and move forward with repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr