Q: Leak at the top of the pinion gear. Not much, can smell the burning fluid. Use Lucas oil or replace the whole rack.

Should I replace or get a kit for the rack and pinion or will lucas oil work for the seals.

I would replace the whole rack and pinion. You could try a rebuild kit if you want but as a technician I would suggest getting a new one. If you would like to verify the cause of the leak before moving forward with repair, a certified professional from YourMechanic can pinpoint the leak and help you proceed with repairs.

3. Leak at the top of the pinion gear. Not much, can smell the burning fluid. Use Lucas oil or replace the whole rack.