Q: Leak at the top of the pinion gear. Not much, can smell the burning fluid. Use Lucas oil or replace the whole rack.

Should I replace or get a kit for the rack and pinion or will lucas oil work for the seals.

I would replace the whole rack and pinion. You could try a rebuild kit if you want but as a technician I would suggest getting a new one. If you would like to verify the cause of the leak before moving forward with repair, a certified professional from YourMechanic can pinpoint the leak and help you proceed with repairs.

• Leak at the top of the pinion gear. Not much, can smell the burning fluid. Use Lucas oil or replace the whole rack.