Q: knocking noise coming from transmission

asked by on July 16, 2017

i was driving and a car was unknowingly veering into my lane so i adjusted my car, not knowing the curb kicked out a little, my front right tire hit the curb,my car did not go onto the sidewalk it was not a hard impact, i continued driving but now whenever my car is in gear (5 speed manual) and the clutch is out there is a hard banging coming from the front end when the clutch is in or the car is out of gear there is no banging. i glanced under the car and seen nothing bent or out of place ( i have to check again) i plan on removing the axles and dropping the transmission this weekend any advice is welcome to what you think the issue is . The car can still drive and shift (sometimes shifting is hard)

Hi there. It is more than likely that you have either a damaged CV joint or axle, especially if you hit a curb. If you are going to remove everything, I would recommend inspecting the inner CV axle shaft input to ensure it is not bent; as this can commonly occur. If you need help diagnosing the noise before you remove parts, you can have one of our professional mechanics come to your location to help.