Q: Burning leaves smell and smoke coming from air vents.

asked by on December 15, 2016

When I turn my heat on it makes a weird whirring noise and after a few minutes of use it will start to blow gray smoke out of the vents. It smells like someone is burning leaves or paper in my car and I'm afraid something will start on fire. I sort of ruled out electrical problems because I would think that electrical fire would have a different smell. Could there be something in my vents or heater core? Or is the blower motor going bad because it makes a very strange noise that gets louder and faster with each fan speed level? I haven't tested the noise and smoke when the AC is on because its the dead of winter in Wisconsin and I would rather not turn into an icicle. Thanks.

This sounds like you may have got some leaves or debris into the blower motor. You may have to remove the blower motor on right side of dash by glove box to see if motor is full of leaves or the blower motor is shorting out and is bad.