Just bought a new car and the transmission is slow going ...

Q: Just bought a new car and the transmission is slow going into drive and reverse. Plus skipped when I attempted to hit the gas hard

asked by on June 29, 2017

I just bought a crown Vic p71 with 85K. When hot the transmission is slow to switch from drive to reverse. Also one time it skipped when I pushed the gas hard to get into an intersection. What may be the cause of this?

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.