Q: jolting bad and stalling - 2009 Kia Sedona

I just changed the spark plugs yesterday and today trying to leave for work when I started up the vehicle i would jolt really bad and eventually shut down/stall. After 10 minutes I finally got it on the road but it was still jolting. When I would slow down it would stall, then at every stop sign it would take me a few minutes to get it going again, after stalling over and over.

Hi there. There are a variety of possibilities that could cause this. However, there are a couple of sensors the car has that are most commonly known for causing this kind of problem. A faulty mass air flow sensor is a sensor that regulates the amount of air that flows into the car’s engine allowing it to mix properly with the fuel just before being injected into the motor.

When this is not working correctly, it causes misinformation to be relayed to the fuel injection system in your car resulting in the erratic jolting you are describing. A bad throttle position sensor can also cause the same type of response. This is a sensor that monitors the position of your foot on the gas pedal which then relays this information to your car’s computer as well to tell the fuel injection system how much fuel to give the motor. If you need further help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue and assist with proper repairs.