Q: Jerking while shifting during deceleration - 1989 Cadillac Brougham

I have intermittent transmission problems on my car. While I'm driving around the city, I have no issues and the shifting is smooth. But, while I'm decelerating to bring the car to a halt, like coming off the freeway, the car begins to jerk during shifting. I had the transmission fluid replaced which helped for a while but hasn't solved the issue. Do you have any suggestion what might help with this?

Hey there. The EGR system may get carbon in it causing the jerking on deceleration. Try decarbonizing the engine to see if it helps. You may need to remove the EGR valve and clear out excess carbon from the passages. For help having this taken care of, have a certified mechanic from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to diagnose the jerking shift issue and assist with proper repairs.