Q: How does the tachometer work?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How does the tachometer work?

Your central gauge cluster shows you a wide range of important information about your car, your engine and your transmission. The tachometer tells you a couple of things. First, it shows how rapidly your engine is turning, which is measured in revolutions per minute, or RPM. Second, it shows you when the engine is getting close to critical speed – the red sections at the upper end of the dial.

Tips

• The engine’s RPM will change as the transmission shifts gears.

• Do not let the needle move into the red section of the gauge. This is dangerous and can lead to engine damage.