Q: My car shuts down when I'm driving down road, like it ran out of gas. It also overheats and blows cold air when the heat it on.

On two occasions, When driving down the road, car will shutdown, like I ran out of gas. Try turning the key, it has spark but won't turn over. After a few hours, try turning the key switch again, it starts right up. Also, it has been overheating and blows cold air when I blast the heat. Please help me figure out what's wrong with my car!

A: The very first step you need to take is get...

The very first step you need to take is getting a scan run on the computer. Take your car to a technician or a local parts store and have them scan the car. They will give you a list of codes that let you know what issues the computer has detected. You will want to find the component these codes will likely have in common.

If you are unable to have the car scanned, you will want to check all fluid levels in the vehicle. Do you have full coolant, oil, gas, and transmission fluid? Have you noticed any leaking or sudden changes in the drivability? One of the most common issues with a car heater is the thermostat. This would also cause overheating issues. Have the thermostat replaced if you do not have any other leads.