Q: Is the oil pan gasket the same thing as oil gasket

asked by on September 10, 2017

Is the oil pan gasket same thing as oil gasket? I had the oil pan gasket done and after that the oil gauge went on suggesting I add a quart of oil . This wasn't happening prior to oil pan being worked on. This was not done at dealership
Prior to taking it to this shop the dealer suggested I take care of the oil gasket. My car has 90 k miles.

The term "oil gasket" is not helpful. It could refer to any number of gaskets in your engine. . "Oil pan gasket" however is a specific name that refers to the gasket on the oil "sump" or "pan" Gaskets are joints, they fit between two parts that are bolted together to provide a seal between them. It could be that someone was telling you that you needed an oil pan gasket, but was careless with their terminology. As for your "add oil" light, it’s possible that the shop that worked on your car didn’t refill the engine oil properly after doing the job. If you aren’t getting any other warnings, then you probably just need to add a quart of oil. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that, contact YourMechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to check the oil level in your car and add oil for you right there on the spot.