Q: Is the air intake system part of the engine?

Last year I had my engine replaced with a refurbished one (2 year warranty). When I drove off the lot, the car stopped accelerating. Learned that the throttled needed to be tightened. Just recently, 4 days after putting car in shop for a replaced ignition switch, the car experienced same systems as loose throttle. I noticed the car had been tampered with, I guess the technician was examining the car to discover the problem, and I noticed that an electrical wire that connects to phone was cut. I also noticed the car shook slightly after I drove off, and I thought it had something to do with him putting the car back together after the repair, and that it would clear, but 4 days later the car just stopped, couldn't accelerate. Put the car back in the shop and a week later, they tell me I need a new intake boot and they're charging me for it. I don't think I should have to pay. I'm wondering if it would be covered in my warranty. Thanks.

Hi there. The intake boots on cars can crack/tear at anytime given age and mileage. This is simply a fact of the part. Was there a proper inspection done prior to the engine repair? During the next diagnosis? There is the chance that the boot cracks/split when the throttle body was loose, but this could be difficult to prove that it was purposefully done. While this boot is split, unmetered and unfiltered air is entering the engine and could produce drivability concerns in the future if not corrected soon. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians that can assist you with a car runs rough inspection.