Q: Is someone available now to answer a question?

There is a rattle under the hood in what sounds like the right side. I asked folks at the place where I get my oil changed, where they do not do engine work. However, they asked me to accelerate and the rattling (clicking) got louder but then it quieted down. I want to have my car towed to a mechanic near a rental car place where I'm going in the morning. I want to be somewhat informed before going in there. Is there someone who can lend insight at this time? Thanks.

Hi there. It sounds like you could have internal engine concerns; usually bearing failure of the crankshaft or connecting rods for the pistons. If the engine has a weak oil pump then damage to engine has already occurred as evidenced by the noise. Once the concern is confirmed by the shop there may be a request for "tear down" inspection which is a legitimate asking charge; make sure an oil pressure reading has been taken and compared to Toyota specifications. If the oil pump has low pressure then a repaired engine will suffer the same fate. Ultimately, you may need to weigh your options of repairing the engine (bringing it back to factory specs), replacing the engine (new or used), or replacing the vehicle. Do some homework on what the costs would be and compare to your current budget. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an engine noise inspection.