Q: Is slightly excessive lifting engine noise a problem? What is the best fix for it?

I had a pre-purchase inspection done on a vehicle I'm interested in buying. The inspector said a slightly excessive lifting engine noise is heard in the engine so is this a deal breaker?

A: Slightly excessive noise, of any kind, fr...

Slightly excessive noise, of any kind, from the engine may be an indication of accelerated wear to the engine. Keep in mind, however, that all engines operate differently, and some will generate more noise in their normal operation than others. The amount of noise can vary greatly depending on the design of the engine's valve train. If the noise is not especially noticeable from inside the vehicle, and does not appear to affect engine performance, or cause any sort of oil burning smell or smoke, then I would not worry about it.