Q: is my fuel pump the problem?

i am having a hard time cranking my car in the mornings. my car seems fine cranking when the engine is warm though. it takes several times to crank it. every now and then, i can get the engine running but then the car shuts off. i have had the car stall once and sometimes it is hard for my car to accelerate. my auto tech teacher told me to check my fuel pressure but i cant seem to find the shrater valve. now i cant get my car started and i hear a lag in my starter. i dont know if the lag is from the starter going bad or if it is my battery. i really need help determining the problem so that i can get it fixed without draining my pocket. thanks.

Hi there. Your teacher is correct, the fuel pump could be causing your issue with low pressure or loss of residual pressure while sitting. Not every vehicle has a fuel line valve for testing; these require other setups to perform the proper pressure testing. Have the battery tested with a digital tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health to determine if it is in need of replacement or recharging; have the alternator tested afterwards for proper output and operation. Check the idle air control valve for proper operation; clean it and see if the cold start concern is corrected. Replace the idle air valve if the concern returns. Remember to ask yourself before replacing any parts, what is the failure of the part and why? I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car is hard to start inspection.