Q: Is it safe to drive with a broken engine mount?

asked by on September 02, 2017

Side engine mount needs replacing. Is it a safety concern to have it done before taking a road trip?

Hi There, Unfortunately, I would not recommend driving the vehicle with broken motor mounts, especially for an extended drive. As you may know, motor mounts are steel mounted brackets that secure the motor and transmission to the chassis of the vehicle. They have rubber internals in them to help isolate engine vibration from being transmitted to the vehicle’s frame. Over time, these rubber internals will develop cracks and eventually break or deteriorate causing the mount to no longer function as it was originally designed to. When these fail, you may notice the vehicle vibrating more than usual which can result in additional damage to other components if not addressed. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your vehicle.