Q: Is it okay to drive while in need of a water pump?

My car has been unofficially diagnosed as needing a water pump due to a leak of my coolant in the bottom front of the engine block. Is it safe to drive the vehicle short distances if I keep the coolant tank filled with water and it doesn't overheat(coolant is just a little expensive) without causing further damage to the vehicle?

2002 Ford Focus wagon ztw

Hello - if in fact, the water pump is leaking as has been diagnosed, it is definitely NOT a good idea to continue driving with a known water pump leak. Water pumps have become more reliable over the years for the most part, and do a remarkable job of holding coolant under pressure even while the water pump bearing wears out. The result, however, is a sudden and complete failure of the pump when you least expect it, frequently with complete coolant loss, and almost instant overheating. I would recommend having a water pump replacement completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Is it okay to drive while in need of a water pump?