Q: grinding noise when braking in cold temps and shifting is difficult

My car is getting a bit older now. This morning it started skidding on the wet pavement and when I applied the brakes, there was a grinding sound and I could feel it too, vibrating in the brake pedal. What would be causing this?

A: What you are feeling sounds like normal ant...

What you are feeling sounds like normal anti-lock brake (ABS) operation. The ABS system is designed to prevent the wheel lockup when the brakes are applied firmly or is on a slippery surface.

To accomplish this, the ABS module monitors wheel speed via sensors. It then rapidly releases and applies hydraulic pressure to the appropriate wheels to prevent lockup. This action is usually felt as a pulsation in the brake pedal. If you believe there is in fact a problem with your brake system, I suggest you have a trained professional inspect your braking noise firsthand. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.