Q: Coolant level dropping quickly 2006 Saab 9-3

About 7-8 months ago I replaced my coolant reservoir because I noticed my coolant was nearly gone. Turns out it had a crack in it. Recently, my coolant level got low so I topped it off. About a week later, I noticed the coolant was low again, it seemed to be near the level it was at before in just a week. I don't smell any coolant, nothing seems to be wrong with the engine, so far the only issue is that the coolant level drops dramatically. The weather has been fluctuating a lot from cold to hot and vice versa but I think there is a bigger issue here because I've lost between 1-1.5 quarts in a week

A: Hi there - yes, I would say this is a probl...

Hi there - yes, I would say this is a problem. Coolant loss can be deceptive - failing water pumps will sometimes only leak while running, blown head gaskets can leak into the engine crankcase, turning the engine oil to a chocolate milkshake-like liquid, or leak out the exhaust, creating a sweet-smelling white steam out the tail pipe. I would recommend a thorough inspection of the cooling system to track this problem down, by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.