Q: Coolant level dropping quickly 2006 Saab 9-3

About 7-8 months ago I replaced my coolant reservoir because I noticed my coolant was nearly gone. Turns out it had a crack in it. Recently, my coolant level got low so I topped it off. About a week later, I noticed the coolant was low again, it seemed to be near the level it was at before in just a week. I don't smell any coolant, nothing seems to be wrong with the engine, so far the only issue is that the coolant level drops dramatically. The weather has been fluctuating a lot from cold to hot and vice versa but I think there is a bigger issue here because I've lost between 1-1.5 quarts in a week

Hi there - yes, I would say this is a problem. Coolant loss can be deceptive - failing water pumps will sometimes only leak while running, blown head gaskets can leak into the engine crankcase, turning the engine oil to a chocolate milkshake-like liquid, or leak out the exhaust, creating a sweet-smelling white steam out the tail pipe. I would recommend a thorough inspection of the cooling system to track this problem down, by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Coolant level dropping quickly 2006 Saab 9-3