What would be cost effective ? Rebuilding my 5.4 triton...

Q: What would be cost effective ? Rebuilding my 5.4 triton engine or buying at refurbish one

asked by on February 05, 2017

My truck is a 2000 ford expedition with over 300k miles on it . One of my spark plugs blew completely out of it and now they're telling me I need a new head but I don't want to spend the money for a new head on an engine with this amount of miles . I'm wondering which way would be more cost effective ; getting a refurbish engine or rebuilding the one that is on it? Also, if i replace the engine is it best to replace transmission at the same time?

Hi there. When it comes to rebuilding an engine and buying an engine that is rebuilt, there could be different cost when it comes to the job. When rebuilding the engine, there are engine kits that are in need to be bought along with the labor. When installing a refurbished engine, there is a few gaskets needed to be bought along with the labor. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend and if you want a warranty or not. I recommend replacing the engine with a refurbished engine to save time and the effort in rebuilding the engine. If you need further assistance with your engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.