Q: After new brake pads & rotors, SUV has a grinding noise

I recently replaced brake pads and rotors: 4 new brake pads and 4 new rotors. Yesterday, when stopping my SUV, it felt as if my brakes let go and then caught. The way it feels when there is an air bubble in the brake line. The brakes are now working today, but they have a grinding noise when I’m driving and when applying the brakes. What is your advice for how to fix this?

Hello. It sounds like the brake calipers may be locking up and causing the grinding noise that you are hearing. I would check to see if the caliper hose is twisted. If it is, this may cause the brake fade that you are experiencing. It is also possible that the master cylinder is starting to fail which could also cause the problems you are having. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection of your brakes and determine if your master cylinder needs to be replaced, or if the brake calipers need to be replaced.