Q: High idle 1500 rpm

asked by on November 12, 2017

Upon start up truck will idle at 1000,after 10 seconds it climbs to 1500 and remains there. Before this problem idled at 700 at all times. Since problem started replaced IAC, TPS, MAP, CTS, was getting codes for those so replaced them thinking problem would solve but still the same. I also replaced throttle body gasket and no change. I have searched for a vacuum leak and have found nothing. Right now I believe the truck is undrinkable, I also unplugged battery to reset computer but didn't do anything either. Any suggestions? Anybody have experience with these TBI motors?

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

I would look again real carefully for air leaks. Some of them can be pretty tricky. There might be a leaky component or even a leaking brake booster. A can of carb cleaner can help with this, but you’d better have a fire extinguisher handy. The next thought is that there is some buildup on the throttle plate that is preventing the throttle from closing completely. This can often be remedied by removing the throttle body and giving it a good cleaning. If you don’t find anything there, I suggest you have it checked out to be sure your money is going to the right place. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your high idle problem and tell you the solution.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr