Q: I have a 1999 ford contour and have a rather loud humming noise coming from the air filter location. It can cause the car to die.

Car makes a loud humming noise coming from the air filter location. It will sometimes cause the car to die or it will stop when changing gears but will come back during the trip. I have also noticed a very hard jerk when driving or stopped. It will act like it's going to die when the jerking starts. Today on my way to the store it was jerking while driving and just died while driving. I tried to restart it and it would die immediately after and then finally I pumped the gas while starting it and it restarted. I bought the car roughly 2 and a half years ago and I've already replaced the battery twice, the mass air flow sensors, the spark plugs, the alternator, and the fuel pump. It has 78,500 miles on it.

Hi Leighanne. Thanks for contacting us today. What you are describing is often a sign of a vacuum leak or a damaged air intake. There are multiple vacuum line connections that are hooked up to different components. When one of them or the air intake is damaged or becomes loose, it will create a noise like you’re describing and cause these type of symptoms. Since there are several possible sources causing these symptoms, you might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an inspection, so they can locate and isolate the root source of your problems.

3. I have a 1999 ford contour and have a rather loud humming noise coming from the air filter location. It can cause the car to die.