2005 Ford Freestar 3.9l idles rough and then dies. OBD co...

Q: 2005 Ford Freestar 3.9l idles rough and then dies. OBD codes are P2196, P2198, P0172, P0175. Any likely fixes?

asked by on September 10, 2017

I drove the car about a mile from home and then it idled roughly at a stoplight and died. I started it again and made it onto a side rode and it did the same thing about a 1/4 mile away. I had it towed home. I checked the trouble codes with OBD scanner and it had P0191, P2196, and P2198. All connections under the hood seemed to be secure. PCM connection was clean and dry. I cleared the codes and let it sit overnight. The next day it started up and ran but still idled a little rough. I drove around the neighborhood and it seemed to run fine. I parked back into the driveway, let it idle for about 10 minutes and then it died again. It had new trouble codes p0172, P0175, P2196, and P2198. Freeze data shows: ST FTRM1 -6.3, LT FTRM1 -13.3, ST FTRM2 -10.9, LT FTRM2 -14.1 (%), MAP ("HG) 11.5, ENG Speed 794 RPM, Ign Advance 9.0, IAT (F) 77, MAF (LB/m) .78, ABSLT TPS (%) 19.6, o2S12 (V) .830, O2S21 (V) .645, ST FTRM21 (%) -10.9, O2S22 (V) .835, REL FRP (PSI) 39.68,

Any likely fixes?

Hi Ben. Thanks for contacting us today. It appears you’ve got multiple component failures or problems that are causing this stalling issue you’re experiencing. Two of the OBD-II codes that stand out are the P-0191 and P-2196 codes. I would recommend clicking those two blue links to read those articles, as they will explain the codes, possible causes and repair solutions. This is where you should start your diagnosis if you’re going to attempt to repair yourself.