Q: Is it better to get it to a garage?

Hi there, could you please advise...Our car engine cut out, we pulled over to the side. We've called road side assistance, they have got our battery working and the engine sounds fine, however they think it may be the crank shaft sensor, but not sure, but wants to test it by replicating the possible issue by heating up the engine. So he wants to 'Rev' the car to heat the engine up. Is this wise? or is it better that we get the car towed to a garage where we can get it diagnosed? Would be great to have some advice. Thank you.

A: Hi there: Thanks for writing in about the ...

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in about the issues you're having with the 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. The crankshaft position sensor is a critical engine sensor that can cause an engine to shut off without notice or other symptoms. It's also common for mechanics to attempt to replicate the conditions in a controlled environment during a road test in attempt to diagnose the issue. However, a 2006 Hyundai is going to have a very complex on board computer that would have stored an error code that a professional mechanic would know to download first before trying to replicate the issue.

Instead of having your car towed, why not have an ASE certified mechanic drive to you? My best advice would be to have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to diagnose your car and replace your crankshaft position sensor if necessary.