Q: Intermittent loss of acceleration

asked by on March 03, 2017

This has occured typically afyer driving the car on the hwy or interstate for 30 to 45 minutes. Sometimes just 15 but never happens in town. Ill be holding the gas pedal in going fairly steady, the car starts deceease speed and loose acceleration it will then die and ill pull over, or ill pull over come to a stop then the car will die. Car cranks right back up sometimes it will act this way trying to go farther down the road sometimes it wont do it again for a week or so. I took it to mevanic shop, they had a hard time getting it to act out. Spark plugs changed new fuel pump and hoses. The shop says car isnt throwing any codes and they have expensive equipment that wouldntell them if it was a bad sensor. Any ideas on what it could be?

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1189.43 Get a Quote
Fuel Injector Replacement $379.42 - $3631.88 Get a Quote
Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement $111.64 - $903.72 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors which is typically caused by a bad fuel pump or potentially faulty fuel injectors. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. Since you have just replaced the fuel pump, I would look to the fuel injectors to see if they may be causing the problem. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.