Q: My car is not accelerating past 40 mph.

My car won't go over 40 mph. The engine will rev up when I press the gas but it will not exceed past the 40 mph. I had troubles earlier this year where my car would shift really hard to move up in gears and jolt the car until finally it stopped accelerating past about 2nd gear. So I had several things replaced such as: the torque converter, valve body and TCM. and now after about 6 months my car will not accelerate past 35-40 mph.

Hi there. Typically when the car will not accelerate past 40 MPH, it’s due to either the vehicle being in a limp mode, or other mechanical (fuel or ignition system component) failures. The best way to determine the root source of this problem and save money on unnecessary repairs is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is slow to accelerate inspection.

3. My car is not accelerating past 40 mph.