Q: Interior lights dont work, what makes them flicker?

Last night the lights inside of my 2007 Jeep Wrangler started going all crazy and shutting off and turning back on. The speedometer stopped working for a minute before the headlights started flickering. I pulled over after that! This vehicle has 100,000 miles on it already, so I expect quirks. I just want to know what would cause all of the flickering. I hope it’s not a big problem. Any idea?

A: If your original headlight bulbs are starti...

If your original headlight bulbs are starting to go bad or they were recently replaced with the wrong wattage bulbs, this could cause the lights to flicker.

Another cause could be newly added fog lights or a similar accessory. The power to the dashboard and headlights is controlled by the Totally Integrated Power Module (TPIM) and if you just added something new to the circuit, the module may require some reprogramming.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose your electrical system and make sure everything is programmed properly.