Q: Instructions on how to replace a rear wheel bearing

hi, can you tell me step by step what I have to do to remove the rear wheel bearing?

The bearing is contained within a unitized hub assembly that is bolted to the knuckle. The entire assembly is replaced (i.e., bearing with hub). A calibrated torque wrench has to be used because the axle retaining nut has to be set precisely to 160 N·m (118 lb ft) when you are finished. If the torque is set outside a relatively narrow range, or air tools are used, the new bearing will essentially be destroyed. The assembly retaining bolts (hub assembly to knuckle) are torqued to 125 N·m (92 lb ft). A J 45859 Wheel Hub Remover and J 43631 Ball Joint Remover (or equivalent tools) are required to do the job.

Briefly,

1. Remove brake rotor

2. Disconnect speed sensor and remove electrical connector from backing plate

3. Remove drive shaft retaining nut and DISCARD

4. Remove upper control arm to knuckle retaining nut; with J 43631, separate upper control arm from knuckle

5. Remove wheel bearing/hub bolts

6. Install J 45859, Snap-on - CJ129 Universal Hub Puller, OTC - 7394 Universal Hub Puller, or equivalent tools, and separate driveshaft from the wheel bearing/hub

7. Remove hub/bearing assembly from the vehicle.

If a calibrated torque wrench is not used to apply a NEW driveshaft retaining nut, the new bearing will be quickly ruined. If air tools are used to apply the nut, the wheel bearing will be quickly ruined once returned to service (i.e., driven on).

If you desire that a certified professional should perform this wheel bearing replacement on your vehicle by all means, please follow up with YourMechanic.

3. Instructions on how to replace a rear wheel bearing