Q: Ignition problem and car won't start - 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Won't start sometimes after driving somewhere ....wait approx 10-30 min and it will start . Replaced relay ...same problem

Hi there. I would need to know if, when it will not start, the engine cranks over or you get nothing. If it will not even crank over, then most of the time this is caused by a failing starter. If it is failing, the heat from the engine running can cause it to bind until it cools again.

It can also be a bad positive battery cable that has a lot of internal resistance. I usually do a voltage test at the starter and work through the circuit from there until I find the problem. If the engine is cranking, then I usually test to see if it is lacking fuel or spark or both. It may be a fuel pump issue or a crank position sensor. I would use a scan tool first to check for codes and to see what the sensors are reading as that should identify the issue.

If you want to have this intermittent starting issue checked out, consider a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your home or office to determine why the car is not starting.