Q: Flapping sounds at average speed, steering wheel shakes

When I'm driving the van at speed range 40-50 mph, it would start making flapping sounds. The noise would subside and disappear at around 60-70 mph. Also, there is no noises when I drive at low speeds. It comes from the outside of the vehicle and can be noticed when the windows are down. Also, the steering wheel is shaking. I have new tires on the van. I had the shafts checked. They are tight and not moving at all. Do you have any idea what could be causing the noise and shaking in the steering wheel?

A: This type of situation is caused by a rotat...

This type of situation is caused by a rotational imbalance or load variation on the tires. My recommendation would be to have the tire road force balanced and matched for least vibration.

This type of balance will put the tire under pressure prior to balancing it to see if there are variations in sidewall stiffness and match lower sidewall rigidity to high spots on the rim to reduce rotational vibrations. The machine will also determine the points on the vehicle to mount the wheels and tires to put the most varying wheel and tire to the right rear while the least vibrating wheel and tire to the front left. This will place the wheels and tires in the most optimal positions to reduce/eliminate the noise and vibration. If you want to have this verified, a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your home or office to diagnose your vehicle’s shaking issue and determine how to move forward with repair.