Q: Ignition column popped out

My car was stolen by joyriders. The thieves popped out the ignition and started the car with pliers. They left the ignition. I am not sure if I need the whole steering column replaced or if it can be reused.

Hi. It will depend on the damage done. Most likely the steering column is ok, it is the ignition lock cylinder, the housing, and the switch that have probably sustained damage and these items will need to be replaced. My advice is to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to replace the ignition switch and inspect for any other electrical problems.

3. Ignition column popped out