Q: I’ve been told the crankshaft bolt on my 2012 Honda Accord is stuck (trying to change timing belt).

I’ve been told the crankshaft bolt on my 2012 Honda Accord is stuck (trying to change timing belt). I’ve been advised that if the bolt breaks it could trash my engine. Since my car has an interference engine I’m hesitant to risk not changing the belt. Have you ever seen a bolt break? The auto repair shop has advised they’ve never had a bolt break but if it does, I’ve been told.

You are correct in that if the crankshaft bolt does break, this may cause some serious engine damage, even beyond the damage related to the timing components as there are other accessories that are driven by the crankshaft pulley as well. I would suggest having the bolt removed and replaced to ensure that this does not happen. It is very rare for this bolt to break, however if it is stuck or unable to be removed, this may cause additional heat to be generated, which also causes expansion and may result in the bolt breaking in two.

3. I’ve been told the crankshaft bolt on my 2012 Honda Accord is stuck (trying to change timing belt).