Q: My car overheats and loses water quickly. What should I do?

asked by on October 24, 2016

Hi,

I drive a VW Polo classic, not sure what year it is, between 1997 and 1999. It tends to overheat from time to time and loses water quickly. Would you advise that I buy a coolent/antifreeze for the car? Can it do more damage to the car?

Regards Sthembile

Your car may have a leaking water pump. Try to keep the coolant level full until you can get the cooling system pressure tested to see where the leak is and get the leak repaired.

If the engine is overheated then the head and gasket may be damaged. Ensure that you do not continue to overheat the engine or damage will occur if it has not happened already.

If you need assistance in diagnosing the source of the leak, get a certified professional, such as one from YourMechanic to inspect the cooling system of your car.