Q: 2002 Toyota 4runner noise in 4x4

I took my 2002 Toyota 4runner (automatic) out this past weekend. Put it in 4 wheel drive. Was not driving hard at all. After a while i heard a sound sort of like when the brakes need changing. a dry scratching sound. when I took it out of 4 wheel drive it stopped. No leaks. Friend says I should replace the transfer case. Does this sound correct?

It could be an internal tranfercase noise, but I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion yet. The noise could be coming from the front driveshaft, CV axles, ect. Anything that’s turning when the four-wheel drive is engaged could be the culprit. The only way to know for certain is to have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, listen to the noise firsthand.

3. 2002 Toyota 4runner noise in 4x4