Q: No acceleration while full throttle

asked by on June 28, 2017

My truck doesn't accelerate like it used to , back then I would punch it and the rpms will sky rocket as well as my speed , now I punch it and the rpms and my speed go really slow , as if I have no power , the tranny doesn't slip or anything , eveything runs smooth , I only have the oxygen sensor check engine light , idk if that's the problem

If the oxygen sensor waveform doesn’t look "well" on a scope (a direct test), it definitely should be replaced prior to (or during) the diagnostics as such could be at least a part cause of your difficulty. Slow acceleration can be due to a variety of causes. Fuel injectors can become clogged over time as the tiny passages become clogged. When an injector is clogged it can degrade the performance of the vehicle and the car may accelerate slowly or feel that it does not have enough power. Other symptoms include a rough idle, a vehicle that is hard to start and a decrease in fuel efficiency. A defective fuel pump will not supply enough fuel to the injectors. This can cause the vehicle to accelerate slowly, or even sputter and stall, especially at high speeds. A clogged fuel filter can also restrict the amount of fuel that reaches the injectors. A dirty airflow sensor can cause the wrong data to be be sent to the computer. A slow accelerating car is the result of this incorrect data. It may also trigger the Check Engine light. Other causes of poor acceleration are vacuum leaks, a defective throttle position sensor and a defective idle air control valve. To get the underlying cause of the problem resolved, you can request an engine diagnostic for slow acceleration. The responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.