Q: I'm about to purchase a 2018 Kia Sorento with AWD. Does the AWD work in reverse?

I'm about to purchase a 2018 Kia Sorento with AWD. Does the AWD work in reverse?

All Wheel Drive (AWD) works in any gear the vehicle is in. There are two types of all-wheel drive: mechanical and electronic. The most common way of creating a capable, mechanical AWD system is by using three differentials. A differential is a box of gears that transmits power from the transmission and splits it at different levels between two wheels (the front or rear axle) or four wheels (the front and rear axle). In AWD, this system works to get power to the wheels with the most traction by splitting torque between the front and rear axles on the center differential, and to the individual wheels by way of the front and rear differentials. This is especially helpful in slippery conditions where one wheel may be getting different amounts of contact or grip with the terrain from time to time.

3. I'm about to purchase a 2018 Kia Sorento with AWD. Does the AWD work in reverse?