Q: "Transmission Service Urgent" light is on.

asked by on December 07, 2016

I bought the car as a second hand in around May, the car was jerking a bit and I thought it was because I had not changed the oils. The previous owners had informed me that the car was not driven for months and that the jerking could be because of a need for oil changes. I changed the oils, the jerking was still there. I decided to take it to a nearby car dealer and found out that they can only replace the transmission and the replacement costs are very high and I am opting for repairing the transmission instead. what could be the cause of the jerking? and how would one approach the repairs? thanks

Hi there. Check the transmission fluid level and make sure that its full. When checking the level, look at the color of the fluid. If the fluid is red or dark red, then I recommend draining the transmission oil and changing the filter. If the fluid is black, I suggest doing nothing, for if the oil was changed the transmission will stop working. The jerking feeling on the vehicle would be the transmission slipping due to the seals inside the transmission are hard. This is why the transmission light is on the dash. By changing the fluid, the seals will soften up and begin to seal up and keep the transmission from slipping. If the fluid was drained and filled along with the filter being changed and the transmission is still making the jerky feeling in the car, then the transmission will need rebuilt or replaced. If you need further assistance with the jerky feeling while driving the vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.