Q: I put rusty fuel in and now no power and engine warning light with lightning bolt on it.

Good day. PLease may you advise me 1) what should I do to fix the below problem and 2) can i drive with it like this? I am i a very small town with no mechanic and home is 400km away. So about a month a go I had my car serviced by my mechanic and then about 3 weeks ago I out rusty fuel in not knowing it was rusty, now i filled up at a garage 2 days ago and the warning light with a lighting bolt on the engine came on and there is hardly any power, I then changed the fuel filter which was dirty and it had a bit more power but its still not working properly and where I live is 400km away, it drives reasonably fine as it is but I am worried that if I drive it I could do further damage?

I wish I could tell you that it would be OK to drive to the next town, but I can’t. I’ll bet that the rusty fuel you put in your car had a high water content. Now the water is gathering in the bottom of the tank and causing you trouble. Unfortunately, manufacturers no longer put drain plugs on the bottom of the fuel tank, so the only thing you can do is siphon the tank empty and replace it with good fuel. Trouble is, when you siphon the tank there will still be a small portion of fuel in the bottom, and that is where the water will be. But you might get away with it if you siphon the tank empty and then fill it up with fresh fuel. I don’t recommend the fuel additives that are marketed for this, I’ve seen them cause more trouble than good. You could try contacting Your Mechanic, they might have a technician in your remote area that can come to your home and check out your car. and help you solve this problem.

• I put rusty fuel in and now no power and engine warning light with lightning bolt on it.