Q: Truck dies while driving - 2000 Dodge Dakota

So my truck keeps dying on me wether I'm driving down the road or if it's parked and idling. The rpms shoot up way high when it starts and makes a hissing noise when I shut it off. I had the fuel pump checked and it was fine so I don't know what else it could be. I also get terrible gas mileage.

A: Hello. You may have several issues at once ...

Hello. You may have several issues at once contributing to the stalling. You will want to start by having the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This can be done by a mechanic or at most local auto parts stores.

Some components to consider would be the oxygen sensors, EGR valves, vacuum leaks, low compression, fouled spark plugs or bad wires, and faulty or clogged fuel injectors. There are a few other sensors that can have an effect, but they are far less likely than the components listed previously. You may also want to recreate the hissing sound and try to pinpoint where it is coming from.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is making this noise and suggest the needed repairs.