Q: I put a new battery in my van went to crank it up and its completely dead. Do i need a new alternator?

i bought a new battery because the old one was draining so much. i put a new battery in the van and went to crank it yesterday and it was dead.

This may be a sign of a failing voltage regulator, a failing alternator or possibly a bad ground connection. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. Often times this will result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. In either case, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.

3. I put a new battery in my van went to crank it up and its completely dead. Do i need a new alternator?